- Latin Name : Putranjiva roxburghii
- English Name : Putranjiva
- Hindi Name : Putra Jeevak
- Part Used : Seed
1Putra Jeevak is a evergreen tree with pendant branches, attaining a height of up to 18 meter and a girth of 2 meter, found in wild or cultivated almost in all parts of India. Seed yields fatty oil used for burning. The seed kernels on steam distillation yield 0.5 % of a sharp smelling essential oil of the mustard oil type. The fruit pulp contains a large proportion of mannitol, and small quantities of a saponin glucoside and an unidentified alkaloid.
Putra Jeevak is considered as Prajasthapak, Garbhkar and Vrishya Herb. It is one of the best herbs with rejuvenative and restorative properties for the female reproductive system and their overall health. 2Analgesic, antipyretic, and anti-inflammatory activities are shown by Putranjiva roxburghii in a study.
1. The Wealth of India, Raw Materials, Vol-8: Ph-Re, edition, 2005, page-325-326
2. PMID: 19387768, J Nat Med. 2009 Jul;63(3):290-6. Epub 2009 Apr 23.